(From the Regulation on the Reserve dated 15.04.2003 with amendments dated 17.03.2005)
6.1. Any activity contradicting the objectives of the Reserve and the regime of special protection of its territory is prohibited on the whole territory of the Reserve, including:
· actions that change the hydrological regime of lands;
· felling of forests with the exception of other felling carried out in an established order, harvesting of oleoresin, tree juices, medicinal plants, and technical raw materials, as well as other types of forest use, except for cases stipulated by this Regulation;
· mowing, grazing of cattle, placement of hives and apiaries, collection and harvesting of wild fruits, mushrooms, nuts, seeds, flowers, other types of use of the flora with the exception of cases stipulated by this Regulation;
· building and placing of the industrial and agricultural enterprises and their separate objects, building of buildings, constructions, roads, overpasses, power lines, and other communications, except for necessary for maintenance of reserve activity; thus concerning the objects provided by the general plan, building permissions are issued according to the legislation of the Russian Federation about local government and the Town-planning code of the Russian Federation;
· industrial, sports and amateur hunting and fishing, other kinds of use of fauna, except for the cases provided by this Regulation;
· introduction of living organisms with a view to their acclimatization;
· use of mineral fertilizers and chemical means of plant protection;
· timber alloy;
· pollution of the territory by domestic and industrial wastes and garbage;
· transit run of domestic animals;
· presence and passage of unauthorized persons and vehicles outside roads and waterways;
· presence and passage of unauthorized persons and vehicles outside of roads and waterways of general use, except for cases provided by this Regulation;
· collection of zoological, botanical, mineralogical, and other collections, except for those provided by the subjects and plans of scientific researches in the reserve;
· helicopters and planes overflight below 2000 meters above the Reserve without coordination with its administration or the Ministry of Natural Resources of Russia, and also overcoming by planes over the Reserve territory of a sound barrier;
· arrangement of rests, bivouacs, bonfires, and all kinds of recreation of the population, except for the cases stipulated by this Regulation;
· littering of the territory, destruction and damage to public places, barriers, boundary posts, and other information signs and stands of the Reserve, as well as equipped recreation facilities;
· other activities violating the natural development of natural processes, threatening the state of natural complexes and objects, as well as not related to the performance of the tasks assigned to the Reserve.
6.2. In the territory of the reserve it is allowed to carry out activities and activities aimed at:
· preservation of natural complexes, restoration, as well as prevention of changes in natural complexes and their components as a result of anthropogenic impact;
· maintenance of conditions ensuring sanitary and fire safety of people, animals, natural complexes and objects;
· prevention of the dangerous natural phenomena (snow avalanches, rockfalls, mudflows and others) threatening a life of people and the populated points;
· carrying out of scientific researches and ecological monitoring;
· conducting environmental education work;
· carrying out control functions.
6.3. In order to manage the territory, to ensure the optimization of the main and additional functions of the Reserve as a biosphere reserve, as well as to ensure the life of the Reserve's staff and citizens living in the town of Rustai, located within the boundaries of the Reserve, a zone of rest and a zone of interaction (biosphere range) are allocated. Description of the boundaries of these zones and the allocated areas are given in Appendix 1.
6.3.1. The zone of rest (the reserved core) is allocated for the purpose of the solution of the main task which is protection of natural complexes of the reserve from direct anthropogenic influence, and also for studying the natural course of natural processes. Any activity is prohibited on the territory of the rest zone, except for the implementation of measures aimed at:
· preservation of natural complexes in their natural state;
· сarrying out scientific research, including environmental monitoring;
· implementation of control functions.
· The procedure and rules of carrying out these activities in the zone of rest are established by the administration of the Reserve taking into account the recommendations of the Scientific and Technical Council of the Reserve.
6.3.2. The interaction zone (biosphere polygon) is allocated for the purpose of promoting sustainable use of natural resources, harmonization of relations between people and wildlife. In the interaction zone, in addition to the activities defined for the rest zone, activities are carried out to address the following tasks:
· promoting the protection and natural development of the rest zone (reserved core);
· preservation and restoration of natural complexes with their own biological diversity;
· assistance in training of scientists and specialists in the field of environmental protection;
· environmental education and propaganda;
· development and testing of recommendations on nature protection and sustainable use of natural resources;
· supporting the livelihood of the population living in Rustai town.
184.108.40.206. Activities in the allocated area of interaction are permitted in accordance with Appendix 2:
· carrying out activities to assist in the restoration of rare species and cenoses;
· carrying out activities under the Reserve's research and development plans;
· haymaking and clearing of overgrown hayfields in accordance with forest management materials;
· establishment of subsidiary farms in the areas of 53, 86-87, 179 to provide food for the Reserve's staff while working in the area;
· logging of firewood and commercial wood in the order of other felling during cutting of openings, cleaning of roads and the adjacent 10-meter roadside strip, necessary to meet the needs of the Reserve in heating, production of quarterly and boundary poles, repair and construction of bridges and cordons; the decision on the use of wood products obtained as a result of other felling is made by the administration of the Reserve;
· passage and stay in the territory of unauthorized persons only by passes issued by the administration of the Reserve.
220.127.116.11. A limited economic activity area is allocated in the zone in order to facilitate the life support of the citizens living in the Rustai town, located within the boundaries of the reserve, and in the area a recreational and excursion site is allocated for the purposes of environmental education.
18.104.22.168. In the site of limited economic activity it is allowed to stay and pass for the Reserve's staff and citizens permanently residing in Rustai town with permanent passes, and for other visitors with temporary passes issued by the Reserve's administration;
22.214.171.124. In order to ensure the life support of the Reserve's staff and citizens permanently residing in the Rustai town, the following types of limited economic activities may be permitted in the limited economic activity area if the relevant documents are issued:
· pickup of deadwood on the specially allocated for this site;
· cattle grazing (except for goats) within the boundaries of quarters and allotments determined by the administration of the Reserve upon the recommendation of the Scientific and Technical Council and submitted by the Director of the Reserve to a higher organization for approval;
· haymaking, harvesting of material for the construction of stacks during the clearing of hayfields in the quarters and outcrops determined by the materials of forest management;
· placement of hives and apiaries;
· collection of mushrooms, nuts, berries, medicinal herbs by permitted methods and in terms established by the administration of the Reserve;
· amateur fishing in the order determid by the administration of the Reserve in accordance with the recommendations of the Scientific and Technical Council of the Reserve and in accordance with the Rules of amateur and sports fishing operating in the Nizhny Novgorod region;
· movement of motor vehicles of the residents of Rustai town with a pass issued by the administration of the Reserve on the roads:
· Lykovo — Rustai,
· Osinky — Rustai,
· Rustai — Zavod,
· Rustai — Vishnya,
· Rustai — Chernozerye (two roads),
· Spornaya fork — quarter 181,
as well as on other roads in accordance with the Rules of Use of the Reserve's Roads approved by the Director's order. It is allowed for motorcycles to drive off the roads in order to shelter not more than 10 m from the edge of the track and for cars and tractors in specially designated places.
126.96.36.199. At the Recreation and Excursion Area (the Rustai Recreation Zone) in order to expand opportunities for environmental education and provide the residents of Rustai with the necessary recreational and other resources is permitted:
· arrangement of tours of hiking trails. The drafts of hiking trails are proposed by the Director for approval by the structural unit of the Ministry of Natural Resources of the Russian Federation, which directly manages and controls the activities of state nature reserves;
· visitors' stay without a pass;
· harvesting of birch brooms without damaging the trees to the extent of cessation of growth if the forest ticket is available;
· moss harvesting if a forest ticket is available;
· stay with dogs, except for the period determined by the administration of the Reserve, in order to prevent mass mortality of clutches and chicks of grouse family and other terrestrial nesting birds.
Except for periods of high fire hazard, Recreation and Excursion Area may be used for recreation and campfire breeding in designated areas.
6.4. In order to heat cordons located in the rest zone and in the interaction zone, the Reserve's staff is allowed to pick up a deadwood in a 500-meter strip around the cordons (Appendix 2).
6.5. As an exception, mechanized and horse transport may be allowed to pass through the Reserve in order to meet the vital needs of citizens permanently residing in the settlements located in the immediate vicinity of the Reserve, and their relatives, with a pass issued by the Reserve's administration:
· Rustai – via Chernorechye – Orekhi;
· Lykovo – via Rustai – via Chernorechye – via Penyaksha – Valki.
6.6. In the Reserve, shooting (catching) wild animals for scientific and regulatory purposes is allowed only under the permissions issued by the structural subdivision of the Ministry of Natural Resources of the Russian Federation, which carries out direct management and control over the activities of the State Nature Reserves.
6.7. The stay of unauthorized persons on the territory of the Reserve, who are not its staff or officials of the Ministry of Natural Resources of Russia, is allowed only with the permission of the Ministry of Natural Resources of Russia or the administration of the Reserve.
6.8. Liability for violation of the established regime or other rules of protection and use of the environment and natural resources in the Reserve, its Protected Area and other Special Protected Natural Areas under the jurisdiction of the Reserve, is incurred according to the current legislation of the Russian Federation.